Report: More kids being treated for mishandling batteries
Advice for keeping your children safe
- Duration 4:07
- Date May 15, 2012
Advice for keeping your children safe
Also in this playlist...
This transcript is automatically generated
-- -- back everyone this new report really caught our attention the number of kids go into the ER.
After swallowing batteries.
Doubled in the last twenty years researchers -- there's really small but in.
Saved to batteries are lots of toys and electronics in a small child can swallow one easily without really -- -- noticing.
The batteries can still have an electric current.
And when they have that electric current there's enough power to burn a hole.
And -- esophagus and -- just it sounds unbelievable but doctor is patty this senior attending physician and ERR emergency medicine.
As seen part of -- hospital in New York says this is something do you see do you see children coming to the ER yes thanks -- back carries we.
We do see it both children and adults sometimes in just these accidentally.
And not actually brought some along to show you the different sizes of some of these batteries they're small -- -- button batteries.
And there and practically everything that we have today.
One of the remote controls for mark or kitchen.
You know and you can see it's easy to open the battery compartment and you see the small that battery in there so.
How can -- burn a hall.
And -- topic is exact and remain a risk and is now the the -- one -- does that mean it's it's without us -- probably the main risk either burning either causing.
Destruction of the tissue or acid leaking out the batteries -- -- And they have a positive on one side and a negative on the other side.
And when that gets in contact with saliva or body -- and the moist tissue creates a little electric current.
Not one that's gonna be perceptible to the -- and patient but the cards just enough to cause a Hydro assist reaction which can cause what we Colin -- -- -- The alkaline burn is what then destroys the tissue and creates a hole or perforation mainly in esophagus.
And -- and looking at some of these batteries are just so small that you can really CM is gonna hold some of them not how much how could just easily swallow one.
You would never now mean children -- -- give something in the -- all the time crawling around in the kitchen floor and whatnot so.
How they are there any signs that that parents might see in their kids you know.
They didn't realize that their child swallowed -- battery that this is a -- you might see if your child did -- sure that.
The very small children will probably not one entering -- or eat any food or liquid they may also call for gag.
Things like that -- the behavior may change also if it's down the respiratory -- than they would have trouble breathing coughing or choking things like that.
One of the the easiest things that happens is they they put the appliance in their mouth with a remote.
They too want it and then the battery just falls out because the compartments are easy to defeat.
Many toys have these but they have a screw on the back to hold -- compartment shut.
But some children others.
I'm eating greeting cards are the ones that you open up -- make -- sound those have those little batteries in it so if your child goes to the ER with this but.
What's your normal course of treatment.
Normally what will -- will do an extract.
And then we'll see if there's a foreign body there and batteries easily show up on actress as -- coins.
One of the differences between the battery in the coin is when you look at the edge of it and I'll show you here when I -- this battery off.
You can tell the difference on actress -- -- -- -- on exactly it will lose no ridges on the quarter but here you see -- -- double rich here on the -- And that's how we can tell it's a battery -- -- to get out within two hours -- the -- hour we have to try to remove that within two hours that's why do you think this -- happened.
It's imperative you bring Charlton -- immediately.
How is there ever a scenario where a kid swallows a battery or recording any say.
We're not gonna do anything we're not gonna do surgery sure the majority of these pass through quite easily and we'll do the -- and we won't see it -- In the esophagus or the upper chest we'll see it in the stomach.
And now we know it's gonna pass through the GI tract.
The majority these cases don't require surgery -- -- when their stack it's just when they're stock and then if they're stock greater than two hours that electric current even in a weak battery.
It's a very my very best have a very little bit of a charge.
That can cause that Hydro assist reaction which can then lead to a burn.
So it's important that parents are -- fascinating common sense the main thing put tape on all these compartments make sure you keep them out of reach of -- some good music news today doctor patty nice to have you as always thanks for -- -- -- advice shot.